- 1 pound tomatoes, any red variety, peeled
- 5 'Fresno' chiles, or similar variety, deseeded and roughly chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 star anise
- 1 package Pomona's Universal Pectin
1. Roughly chop peeled tomatoes and place in a medium saucepan. Add the chiles, vinegar, 1 cup sugar, salt, and star anise. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Follow the instructions in the box of Pomona's Universal Pectin for making the calcium water. Combine 1 teaspoon of pectin powder with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl.
3. Once the tomatoes and chiles have cooked for 20 minutes, add 1 teaspoon of calcium water. Stir. Add the pectin sugar, stir, and bring to a boil to dissolve. Remove from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
4. Ladle the jam into clean jars and allow to cool. It will thicken more as it cools. Jam will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
Makes 3 cups