- 4 oz multigrain rotini pasta
- 2 tsp organic olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 8 oz brown mushrooms (cremini), quartered
- 1/2 med red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 sm onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) no-salt-added basil-garlic-oregano diced tomatoes
- 20 lg pitted black olives
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Prepare pasta per package directions.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick frying pan (with cover) over medium-high heat while making pasta. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
3. Combine mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, garlic, salt, and black pepper in pan. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms exude liquid, about 3 minutes. Uncover and cook until most of the liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes.
4. Stir in tomatoes (with juice) and reserved chicken with any accumulated juices from bowl. Reduce heat to a simmer.
5. Add drained pasta to pan. Add olives and toss gently to combine. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Flavor Up- Basil and oregano give the lead herbal notes here. Backed up by tomato, onion, garlic, and a bit of black pepper. These are the traditional seasoning in chicken cacciatore. Our version cooks faster because the chicken is cut into small pieces, and the added pasta makes it a complete meal.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 498.1 cal
Fat 24.4 g
Saturated fat 4.6 g
Cholesterol 46.5 mg
Sodium 873.6 mg
Carbohydrates 46.8 g
Total sugars 7.4 g
Dietary fiber 7.8 g
Protein 24.1 g
Healthy Recipe Courtesy of Rodale Recipe Finder
Photo: Miki Duisterhoff