Total: 1hr 20min
- 1 tablespoon organic olive oil
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 3/4 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon trans-free margarine
- 6 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until just starting to soften. Stir in the broth and 1 cup of water. Add the chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a simmer. Place the almonds in a medium skillet and cook over medium-high heat, shaking the pan often, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate to cool for 5 minutes. Place the almonds in a food processor or blender and process to a fine meal.
3. Combine the ground almonds, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. With a pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor fashion, cut the margarine into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk until a soft dough forms.
4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and pat to a 1/2" thickness. Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces. Drop into the simmering water and cook, turning once, for 17 to 18 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the pan with the chicken mixture. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
5. Divide among 4 bowls.
*Limit saturated fat to no more than 10 percent of total calories--about 17 grams per day for most women or 21 grams for most men--and sodium intake to no more than 2,300 milligrams.
MAKE IT A FLAT BELLY DIET MEAL: A single serving of this recipe counts as a Flat Belly Diet Meal without any add-ons!
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 410.6 cal
Fat 17.1 g
Saturated fat 2.7 g
Cholesterol 66.7 mg
Sodium 819.1 mg
Carbohydrates 30.4 g
Total sugars 6.2 g
Dietary fiber 5 g
Protein 34.7 g
Healthy Recipe Courtesy of Rodale Recipe Finder
Photo: Con Poulos