2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into bite-size florets
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Salt, to taste
Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the cumin seeds. Sauté for 30 seconds or so, until the seeds begin to sizzle.
2. Add the ginger, garlic, and shallots. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the shallots soften and begin to change color.
3. Add the cauliflower, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is brown and caramelized, about 8 minutes.
4. Add the peas and tomatoes. Stir in the turmeric, black pepper, coriander, and cayenne (if using) and add salt to taste. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the spices are incorporated into the dish.
5. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the cauliflower is cooked through.
6. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Makes 4 servings
Originally published in Organic Gardening Magazine, Oct/Nov 2013