Prep: 15 min
Cook: 45 min
Total: 1 hr
2 tablespoon butter
5 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 quarts chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the margarine or butter.
2. Add the onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned.
3. Add the sugar and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes longer.
4. Add the sweet potatoes, broth, allspice, thyme, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
5. Quickly reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato pieces are fork-tender.*
6. Adjust the seasonings and serve.
* Alternate: For a smoother soup, transfer the ingredients to a food processor after the ingredients are fork-tender and puree in batches. Return to the pot, reheat, and serve.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 87.6 cal
Fat 1.6 g
Saturated fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 335 mg
Carbohydrates 15.8 g
Total sugars 6.4 g
Dietary fiber 2.4 g
Protein 2.5 g