- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 10 cups loosely packed torn mixed greens, such as escarole, Swiss chard, watercress, and arugula
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add barley and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add scallions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, or until scallions are wilted.
3. Add the greens, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until just wilted.
4. Fluff the barley with a fork and stir into the greens.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 160.4 cal
Fat 4.3 g
Saturated Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 332.9 mg
Carbohydrates 26.9 g
Total Sugars 1.9 g
Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
Protein 6.3 g
Recipe courtesy of the Rodale Recipe Finder.