2. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, salt, yeast, water, honey, and olive oil. Using the dough hook attachment, mix on medium speed for about 10 to 12 minutes until the dough is smooth and stretchy. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes and then divide into two batches.*
3. Roll out the dough a batch at a time on a floured surface with a rolling pin to about ⅛ inch thick, and place on the back of an upside-down oiled sheet pan.
4. Pulling gently from the center, stretch the dough to the edges of the sheet pan, keeping as even as possible. Spritz quickly with water and partially bake for 3 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool. Top with desired topping and cut with a pizza wheel into 6-inch squares.
6. Place a layer of parchment over the dough and top with a second sheet pan. Bake between sheet pans for about 20 minutes at 280°F, or until crisp. Repeat steps 3 through 6 with the second batch of dough.
*Optionally, you can divide the dough in half again and use a half-sheet pan in step 3, working in four batches.
Makes 12 large crackers
Photograph by Albert Elbilia
Originally published in Organic Gardening magazine, April/May 2014