- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup pitted prunes
- 2 cloves
- Splash of brandy and orange juice
- 3 large crisp apples (‘Jonagold', ‘Ambrosia', ‘Honeycrisp', or ‘Cortland' work well), diced--3 to 4 cups total
1. Mix the oil and eggs with a whisk or beater until creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix to combine.
2. In another bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to the egg mixture and mix well.
3. In a small saucepan, combine the prunes and cloves with enough brandy and orange juice to just cover, then gently heat on medium-low until the prunes are plump. Remove the cloves and drain excess liquid from the prunes, if necessary. Let cool; dice the prunes and add to mixture, along with the apples.
4. The cake batter will be stiff. Pour into a greased 12-cup Bundt cake pan and bake for 75 minutes at 350°F or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve wedges with vanilla-infused whipped cream or good quality ice cream and garnish with clementine segments if you wish. Also lovely with fruit compote.
For more delicious Spanish recipes check out our Festive Sangria, Catalan Style Tortilla, Mushrooms with Garlic and Parsley Sauce, and Spanish Red Onion and Orange Salad.